possible problem with version string in win32 port

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: possible problem with version string in win32 port
Date: 2004-11-02 21:34:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
On a lark I changed the postgresql version string from 8.0.0beta4 to
8.0.0 in configure, did a full make clean + configure + compile.  After
this trying to start the server elicits a version mismatch complaint
from pg_ctl with postmaster.exe.  I figure probably a line ending issue,
no big deal (although I have no idea why it works now.)

So, I hack exec.c to do a straight strcmp to a line-ending insensitive
version of the same (aside: this may be a good idea anyways).  Still no
luck starting the server.  It turns out pg_ctl is trying to compare

postmaster (PostgreSQL) 8.0.0\n   <-- on the pg_ctl side
with
postmaster (PostgreSQL) 8.0.\n    <-- on the postmaster side, read from
popen with -V switch.

However, postmaster -V from the command line returns the correct version
string.

I further hack my insensitive comparison to subtract one from the
expected string length, and now everything works normally.  I checked
all the buffer lengths and everything is within normal limits.  Setting
the version string back to 8.0.0 beta4 allows everything to work as
originally coded via a straight strcmp().

Merlin

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date