Re: [HACKERS] spurious function execution in prepared statements.

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Michael Adler" <adler(at)pobox(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] spurious function execution in prepared statements.
Date: 2004-09-30 14:19:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

> Here's another workaround that may let you use a prepared statement:
>
> prepare ps(...) as
> select f(c) from (select c from t where [expr] limit 1) as t1
>
> -Mike

I was just exploring that. In fact, the problem is not limited to
prepared statements...it's just that they are more likely to run a
seqscan so I noticed it there first. Since I am in a situation where I
need very strict control over when and why f gets executed, I pretty
much have to go with the subquery option.

That said, it just seems that out of result set excecutions of f should
be in violation of something...

Merlin