Re: Win32 release warning

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,"PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 release warning
Date: 2004-08-26 13:45:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have shortened your paragraph to:
>         Because Win32 is significantly different from the Unix
>         supported in previous releases, this port might have more bugs
> 	than other supported platforms in this release.   Please
> 	test it thoroughly before using it in production.
> and made the change in release.sgml.  Do we need more?
> Other wording I considered was:
>   "we expect this port not to be as bug-free as other supported
> but that is close to a double-negative.
> In adding this now, I would also like to see a notice in a future
> release at the point we think Win32 is as bug-free as Unix (or as
> bug-free as the platform allows).  (And this might happen in a minor
> 8.0.X release.)
> Again, my concern about this stuff is that you later have to undo what
> you said.

I would humbly suggest making some small corrections to make the overall
tone a little more upbeat.  For example: instead of saying unsupported
operating systems are: (or not supported:), just reverse it and say
supported operating systems supported are:

As for the warning, maybe it's a little over cautious.  I'm going to go
out on huge limb and say the user-level issues are not going to much
bigger than the usual headaches that accompany the x.0.0 releases that
get fixed shortly after release time.  Why spread doubt among your own

A well worded statement might read:
"As with any new technology release, early adoption should be regarded
with caution until the database has been proving in a production
evironment.  Database administrators should carefully analyze risk
before deploying on win32."

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2004-08-26 14:17:25