Re: PITR on Win32 - Archive and Restore

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Christian Klemke" <Christian(dot)Klemke(at)t-online(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers-win32" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PITR on Win32 - Archive and Restore
Date: 2004-08-09 13:35:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Guys,
>
> did you notice my earlier CopyFile / CopyFileEx posting (at about
10:20
> German time) ?
> If you want to stick with an external copy executable (which I don't
quite
> understand), just go and write one yourself and provide it for Windows
> users. Leaving aside the neccessary checks, it might be as simple as:
>
> #include <windows.h>
> int main(char* args[]) {
> return CopyFile(args[0],args[1],TRUE);
> }
>
> Adding a proprietary parser for secure handling of quotes (to deal of
> paths
> containing space)s should be simple, I'm sure you have adequate
functions
> in
> your Postgres library. Link it to a file called copy.exe or cp.exe or
> wahtever and add it to the PGBIN directory.

IMO, this is not a solution...the whole point of being able to construct
a command string is to do clever things other than simply copying...such
as redirect through bzip for compression and perhaps a parser to monitor
for errors by duping the stderr handle (just throwing ideas out). Also,
check out all the switches in copy (more for xcopy) and realize the
complexity of a hand-rolled copy.exe zooming upwards.

Merlin