Re: my boss want to migrate to ORACLE

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Stephane Tessier" <stephane(dot)tessier(at)abovesecurity(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: my boss want to migrate to ORACLE
Date: 2004-07-30 14:13:20
Lists: pgsql-performance
Stephane wrote:
Hi everyone,

somebody can help me??????? my boss want to migrate to ORACLE................

#fsync = true
[snip]

Are you using battery baked RAID?

Your problem is probably due to the database syncing all the time.  With fsync one, you get 1 sync per transaction that updates, deletes, etc.  4 million writes/day = 46 writes/sec avg.  Of course, writes will be very bursty, and when you get over 100 you are going to have problems even on 15k system.  All databases have this problem, including Oracle.  Keeping WAL and data on separate volumes helps a lot.  It's quicker and easier to use hardware solution tho.

If you want to run fsync on with that much I/O, consider using a battery backed raid controller that caches writes.  This will make a *big* difference.  A quick'n'dirty test is to turn fsync off for a little while to see if this fixes your performance problems.

Merlin

pgsql-performance by date

Previous:From: Stephane TessierDate: 2004-07-30 13:56:17