Re: win32 pgsql not installable

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Richard Sydney-Smith" <richard(at)ibisaustralia(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 pgsql not installable
Date: 2004-07-28 15:47:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> I tried for several days to install the w32-postgres project. Finally
> downloaded
> Powergres which is now running without trouble on the HP notebook.
From
> your post I think the trouble is in the support ( lack of) for
XP-Home.
> I think there will be many with notbooks who would like to use
postgres
> as a development tool possibly with the view that the final
application
> will run on a XP/2000 or Linux server.

> With all the hard work done and a great product nearly available it
> would appear that the security issues are really hobbling the
> finalisation of the w32 project.

1. XP home is not supported. XP home is not designed to run servers of
any kind (PostgreSQL is a server).

2. Despite the above fact, that it's perfectly possible to run on XP
home (except for as a service), you just have to know what you are
doing.

3. PostgreSQL 7.5 is pre-beta. On any given day, the source might not
compile/work. Since the dev period is about to close, there is some
last minute rushing going on which have reduced the likelihood of things
working of late. However, out of the last 3-4 months it worked fine out
of the gate 80-90% of the time.

4. I've written a production application and done almost 6 months of
development on with the port...it is stable, fast, and most likely the
future of win32 development.

Patience!
Merlin