Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Joshua Kramer" <josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?
Date: 2004-07-12 21:07:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Last week, I got some DB2 literature from IBM. (I didn't ask for it,
all
> I wanted was a CD with the software, but I guess they saw fit to send
me
> the whole thing.) In this literature was a guide titled, "Why DB2 vs.
> Open Source Databases Sales Guide".
>
> The guide mostly concentrated on MySQL, but they did have one
paragraph
> about PostgreSQL. They noted that SourceForge started off using
> PostgreSQL, but when the site grew it "crashed 4 to 5 times per day"
under
> the increased workload as more people put their projects on SF. They
of
> course then went on to praise how DB2 handles heavy workloads.
>
> Can anyone provide details on this? Were the servers misconfigured?
I've
> run into situations where the postgres server will stop responding if
the
> disk fills to capacity. We should prepare something to respond to
this.

Off the top of my head they are quoting the article from Tim Perdue
comparing mysql and postgres (google: mysql postgresql comparioson).
The version was some 7.0.x version. They neglected to summarize his
follow-up which was a big win for pg. However, it's from a non biased
source, and is well documented. I agree that a rebuttal should be ready
at will.

Merlin