Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.
Date: 2004-04-26 14:01:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com wrote:
> PostgreSQL. Maybe it is in the form of a web server like Samba's SWAT
> utility, I don't know (A SWAT type utility could run as the PostgreSQL

I've found webmin to be pretty good swat type tool...it's lacking some
things to be a full postgres administration system, but I think they
have the right idea...

> (4) Blessed projects, lets play favorites. Lets find good and
meaningful
> extensions on gborg and ./contrib and work with the authors and make
them
> part of the PostgreSQL "environment." Projects like, replication,
.NET
> service provider, ODBC, pgAdmin, etc. are important and users need to
find
> them close to PostgreSQL's main location.
>
> (5) Programming languages. We need to make a programming language
standard
> in PostgreSQL. plpgsql is good, but isn't someone working on a Java
> language. That would be pretty slick.

Personally, I like the idea of plphp better. I haven't used either,
though. plgsql will always have value in converting oracle deployments,
so it is truly hard to standardize on a favorite here.

I think the latest versions of pgAdmin are just awesome. I never used
to like it very much, but it really is great software. I think any
effort expended on beefing that project up is not wasted.

Merlin