Restore problem from 8.4 backup to 9.0

From: Adam Wizon <adamwizon(at)mac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restore problem from 8.4 backup to 9.0
Date: 2010-09-29 00:39:44
Lists: pgsql-general
I installed v9.0 on my Mac Pro.  Dumped the 8.4 database using 'pg_dump -Fc -d dbname --username=xyz > backup_file_name' using the pg_dump from the 8.4 installation.  I restored the database using 'pg_restore -d dbname backup_file_name'  using the 9.0 restore and after creating a new database under 9.0.  Under version 9.0 the database looks ok, but I had a lot of the following errors (132) during the restore:

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  relation "xyz" already exists ...
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  multiple primary keys for ....
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed: ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint ...

I tried restoring the 8.4 restore file to a new 8.4 database and there were no errors.  It almost looks like the schema already existed when I went to do the restore, but I was careful to create the new database in the admin tool under the correct server.  I thought the admin tool created the new database in the data folder of the selected installation.  Any ideas on what might have happened?  Thanks.

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Christian RamseyerDate: 2010-09-29 01:08:07