Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date: 2009-01-24 14:29:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On 23. Januar 2009 21:18:19 -0500 Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> In the future, I think we should have an expectation that resubmits
> within the same CommitFest should happen within a week, and that if no
> revision is forthcoming within two weeks the patch is declared dead
> (and the submitter can add it to the next CommitFest when they
> resubmit).  Don't think I'm picking on you, either: there was quite a
> bit of it this CommitFest, and it's bad, because:

yes, i'd be happier if i could have spent more time on it, being more
responsive, especially in late December. But it wasn't possible, my fault :(

You're suggestion doesn't help with the problem that (like Joshua already
mentioned) core developers are too busy with reviewing stuff during the
CommitFest. Because of this it's really hard to get the necessary time of
somebody who is able to evaluate the architecture of a new feature and
(more important) its side-effects on the whole system. Especially the last
CommitFest before Feature Freeze is becoming heavily busted with many many
interesting patches, because people want to have their WIP reviewed at
least for the upcoming release (like me). I don't see how postponing
patches would make it better?

The lesson i've learned is to post more, post often and not waiting until
the last CommitFest begins.

	Bernd