Re: Monitoring database

From: David Stanaway <david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au>
To: romio(at)il(dot)aduva(dot)com, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Monitoring database
Date: 2002-01-16 22:36:06
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Wednesday, January 16, 2002, at 07:09  PM, Roman Gavrilov wrote:

> Yes I would like to see system tables, that is correct is there any way
> to see all those tables.
> For example in MySQL there is mysql database where you have all system
> tables.

Please read the documentation. I have already told you where to look.

But just incase you missed it:
$ psql template1
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

        \h for help with SQL commands
        \? for help on internal slash commands
        \q to quit

template1=> \?
  \a             toggle between unaligned and aligned mode
  \c[onnect] [dbname|- [user]]
                 connect to new database (currently 'template1')
  \C <title>     table title
  \copy ...      perform SQL COPY with data stream to the client machine
  \copyright     show PostgreSQL usage and distribution terms
  \d <table>     describe table (or view, index, sequence)
  \d{t|i|s|v}    list tables/indices/sequences/views
  \d{p|S|l}      list permissions/system tables/lobjects
  \da            list aggregates
  \dd [object]   list comment for table, type, function, or operator
  \df            list functions
  \do            list operators
  \dT            list data types
  \e [file]      edit the current query buffer or [file] with external
editor
  \echo <text>   write text to stdout
  \encoding <encoding>  set client encoding
  \f <sep>       change field separator
  \g [file]      send query to backend (and results in [file] or |pipe)
  \h [cmd]       help on syntax of sql commands, * for all commands
  \H             toggle HTML mode (currently off)
  \i <file>      read and execute queries from <file>
  \l             list all databases
  \lo_export, \lo_import, \lo_list, \lo_unlink
                 large object operations
  \o [file]      send all query results to [file], or |pipe
  \p             show the content of the current query buffer
  \pset <opt>    set table output  <opt> =
{format|border|expanded|fieldsep|
                 null|recordsep|tuples_only|title|tableattr|pager}
  \q             quit psql
  \qecho <text>  write text to query output stream (see \o)
  \r             reset (clear) the query buffer
  \s [file]      print history or save it in [file]
  \set <var> <value>  set internal variable
  \t             show only rows (currently off)
  \T <tags>      HTML table tags
  \unset <var>   unset (delete) internal variable
  \w <file>      write current query buffer to a <file>
  \x             toggle expanded output (currently off)
  \z             list table access permissions
  \! [cmd]       shell escape or command

David Stanaway
Personal: david(at)stanaway(dot)net
Work: david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au