Re: Monitoring database

From: David Stanaway <david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au>
To: romio(at)il(dot)aduva(dot)com, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Monitoring database
Date: 2002-01-16 22:36:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wednesday, January 16, 2002, at 07:09 PM, Roman Gavrilov wrote:

> Yes I would like to see system tables, that is correct is there any way
> to see all those tables.
> For example in MySQL there is mysql database where you have all system
> tables.

Please read the documentation. I have already told you where to look.

But just incase you missed it:
$ psql template1
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

template1=> \?
\a toggle between unaligned and aligned mode
\c[onnect] [dbname|- [user]]
connect to new database (currently 'template1')
\C <title> table title
\copy ... perform SQL COPY with data stream to the client machine
\copyright show PostgreSQL usage and distribution terms
\d <table> describe table (or view, index, sequence)
\d{t|i|s|v} list tables/indices/sequences/views
\d{p|S|l} list permissions/system tables/lobjects
\da list aggregates
\dd [object] list comment for table, type, function, or operator
\df list functions
\do list operators
\dT list data types
\e [file] edit the current query buffer or [file] with external
editor
\echo <text> write text to stdout
\encoding <encoding> set client encoding
\f <sep> change field separator
\g [file] send query to backend (and results in [file] or |pipe)
\h [cmd] help on syntax of sql commands, * for all commands
\H toggle HTML mode (currently off)
\i <file> read and execute queries from <file>
\l list all databases
\lo_export, \lo_import, \lo_list, \lo_unlink
large object operations
\o [file] send all query results to [file], or |pipe
\p show the content of the current query buffer
\pset <opt> set table output <opt> =
{format|border|expanded|fieldsep|
null|recordsep|tuples_only|title|tableattr|pager}
\q quit psql
\qecho <text> write text to query output stream (see \o)
\r reset (clear) the query buffer
\s [file] print history or save it in [file]
\set <var> <value> set internal variable
\t show only rows (currently off)
\T <tags> HTML table tags
\unset <var> unset (delete) internal variable
\w <file> write current query buffer to a <file>
\x toggle expanded output (currently off)
\z list table access permissions
\! [cmd] shell escape or command

David Stanaway
Personal: david(at)stanaway(dot)net
Work: david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au