Re: pgbench: Support Multiple Simultaneous Runs (with Mean and Std. Dev.)

From: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: PgSQL - Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench: Support Multiple Simultaneous Runs (with Mean and Std. Dev.)
Date: 2006-01-25 20:02:17
Lists: pgsql-patches
I guess I was thinking that the multiple iterations allow for easier
pinpointing of noise on the system. I think I remember originally
writing this during an episode where successive runs of pgbench were
yielding wildly different results, and I wound up wanting an easy way
to detect this and examine it further, so standard deviations in
smaller sets of runs seemed an easy way to do it.

With large numbers of transactions, any noise in the system would get
smoothed out. I guess I like the ability to see the incremental
behavior of the system when using pgbench, and this lets me run it
for a long enough duration inspecting more often.

If this isn't deemed generally useful functionality, that's fine.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Database Architecture and Programming

http://www.sitening.com/