Re: Problems with precompiled pgsql on mac

From: Peter Elmers <p(dot)elmers(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with precompiled pgsql on mac
Date: 2007-03-27 07:38:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Shane,

> Peter Elmers wrote:
>> Hi Guys!
>
> A bit more info would help -
>
>> I am trying to deploy an application together with postgresql.
>> Therefore, i compiled postgres versions on Intel, G4 and G5.
>> Mostly, this works perfectly. But on some machines, the
>> installation was successful and postgres does not start.
>
> Is there some common info on the machines that don't work?
There must be. But at the moment, i did not find anything.
Architecture and Ressources are different.

> Is it only cpu type that fails? Is the correct binary installed on
> them?
The correct binary is used.

> Is there a system version or installed software that is common to
> the failing machines?
10.4.9. On my machines, this works perfectly.

> How much RAM is on the failing machines?
Also different.

> Are you adjusting the postgres.conf file? What changes? Try with a
> standard postgres.conf first.
Changes are made for the amount of connections. Otherwise i had to
change the sysctl settings.

max_connections = 50
shared_buffers = 1MB

> Are you adjusting any of the sysctl settings?

No

> What version are you installing?

I compiled 8.2.3

> I do remember reading somewhere about Apple Remote Desktop 2 (or
> maybe it was 3) (which uses pg as data source) may conflict with a
> postgres install.

>> PostGres does not write any log. If i try to start the postmaster
>> directly, he says, it will start but no process is shown within
>> the process list.
>
> There should at least be a serverlog in the data directory. If you
> have setup rotating logs look in data/pg_log
There is definitely no log.

> Bad permission settings on the data dir can stop postgres from
> starting. Has the postgres user been created and set as the owner
> of the data dir with drwx------ permissions set on the data dir and
> all contents?
I already checked this. All permissions are correct. We use a own
user to keep it clean if a possible postgres standard installation
exist on the target machine.

> What script are you using to start? Is POSTGRESQLSERVER=-YES- in /
> etc/hostconfig Some scripts use this or similar to turn postgres on
> or off.
> One thing to try is to try starting with pg_ctl - you may get more
> feedback than the startupitems script

We use a own start script together with the systemstarter to get the
database up each time the computer starts. In detail, it just uses
"pg_ctl -D $Somewhere -l $OtherWhere start"

> Two logs to look at are console.log and system.log which may have
> STDERR output not seen at the terminal. You can use Console.app to
> view them or open them directly, console.log is in /Library/Logs/
> Console and system.log is in /var/log
I tailed the system.log directly after trying to start pg_ctl. Not a
single line about postgres. Also for the crashlog.
The Console.log is new to me. I will check this.

Thanks for your help!