Re: designing tables - sidetrack into arrays

From: Cath Lawrence <Cath(dot)Lawrence(at)anu(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: designing tables - sidetrack into arrays
Date: 2003-07-30 07:14:13
Lists: pgsql-novice
OK, a followup to my question now before anyone replies...

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 04:01  PM, Cath Lawrence wrote:
> Perhaps I should make a special archive table and refer to it by some
> key. Say, id, [array of archive content file names], bytea for the
> archive.

Actually this now strikes me as a bad idea, since I think I can't
search my table by filename to find what archive it's in, and retrieve
that archive. With a plaintext list I could do
"select archive from bin_archives where file_name_list like

Or am I being clueless about arrays, too?

Cath Lawrence,                       Cath(dot)Lawrence(at)anu(dot)edu(dot)au
Senior Scientific Programmer,  Centre for Bioinformation Science,
John Curtin School of Medical Research (room 4088)
Australian National University,  Canberra ACT 0200
ph: (02) 61257959   mobile: 0421-902694   fax: (02) 61252595