Re: Re: [WIP] Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation

From: Amit kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Heikki Linnakangas'" <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, "noah(at)leadboat(dot)com" <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [WIP] Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation
Date: 2012-10-08 14:56:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday, October 06, 2012 7:34 PM Amit kapila wrote:
On Thursday, October 04, 2012 8:03 PM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:33 PM Amit Kapila wrote:
On Friday, September 28, 2012 7:03 PM Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:39 PM Amit Kapila wrote:
> > > On Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:12 PM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > > On 25.09.2012 18:27, Amit Kapila wrote:

>> 1. Please find the results (pgbench_test.htm) for point -2 where there is
>> one fixed column updation (last few bytes are random) and second column
>> updation is 32 byte random string. The results for 50, 100 are still going
>> on others are attached with this mail.

> Please find the readings of LZ patch along with Xlog-Scale patch.
> The comparison is between for Update operations
> base code + Xlog Scale Patch
> base code + Xlog Scale Patch + Update WAL Optimization (LZ compression)

Please find attached the recovery performance data and
updated patch to handle the unaligned access of PGLZ_Header in decompress by copying the header part to the local aligned address.

Recovery Performance
1. The recovery performance is also better with LZ compression Patch.

Please do let me know if any more data or test is required for this patch.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench_recovery_benchmark.htm text/html 29.1 KB
pglz_wal_update_v2.patch application/octet-stream 20.3 KB