Re: JAVA Support

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Thomas Lockhart" <Thomas(dot)G(dot)Lockhart(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: JAVA Support
Date: 2006-09-29 07:34:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
This being SASL:

> > I know I tried to make
> > it work on win32 once and failed miserably. (Then again, I've
> failed
> > on Linux as well, but not quite as bad. And it's not included in
> all
> > Linux distributions, at least it wasn't when I checked a while
> back)
> Well, I know Redhat has RPM's that look reasonable.  I'm not a big
> Linux user myself.  (More a BSD bigot, to be honest.)

Well, Redhat != Linux, really :P

Over to GSSAPI:

> In theory, you get to plug in other mechanisms than Kerberos.  In
> practice I think this only worked on Solaris, until very recently.

FWIW, Microsoft have supported NTLM over GSSAPI since.. eh. Back in
1999, I guess, with the first pre-releases of Windows 2000.

> Wire compatibility with a native Windows API (the SSPI), if it's
> used correctly.  (Google for posts by Jeffrey Altman for references
> to example code.)

This, IMHO, is a big win if we can pull it off. It would significantly
lower the barrier for getting Kerberos working properly in pg on Win32.