Re: JAVA Support

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>,"Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JAVA Support
Date: 2006-09-29 07:31:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > However, that doesn't change that some people would like us to
> support
> > GSSAPI, and there may be some benefit (additional applications,
> better
> > network authentication, etc.) for doing so.  If we can get
> additional
> > programmers to code the support (i.e. Sun, JPL) I don't see any
> reason
> > not to support the *additional* authentication methods.
>
> Well, as I said already, a lot depends on the size of the patch.
> As a reductio ad absurdum, if they drop 100K lines of code on us,
> it *will* get rejected, no matter how cool it is.

Oh, absolutely.

> The current Kerberos support seems to require about 50 lines in
> configure.in and circa 200 lines of C code in each of the backend
> and libpq.  Plus a dependency on an outside library that happens to
> be readily available and compatibly licensed.

I would expect, without looking at the details of the API, GSSAPI to be
about the same amount of code if not less.

> What amount of code are we talking about adding here, and what
> dependencies exactly?  What portability and license hazards will be
> added?

The Kerberos5 libraries that we rely on today provide GSSAPI. So it
would work with the same external library. Now, it could *also* work
with other libraries in some cases (for example, the Win32 SSPI
libraries), but with the same libraries it should work fine.

//Magnus