Re: Win32 hard crash problem

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Dave Cramer" <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 hard crash problem
Date: 2006-09-06 07:27:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> totally
> >> Another important point that we've not been given information
> on:
> >> when pgAdmin/libpq starts failing like this, exactly what is
> >> happening with the connection pool? Is it still able to issue
> >> queries, and if not what happens exactly?
> >
> > No, when this happens everything stops. The only thing they get
> back
> > is that message until they reboot the server. The web app (via
> > java/connection pool), pgAdmin both give the same error.
> >
> > Which now that I think about it, seems odd if the message is
> coming
> > from libpq yes?
> Yes, this is very odd, AFICS, this message does not exist in the
> java driver. So.... it would be interesting to get the actual logs
> from the client.

Definitly - that error msg showing up in the web app really doesn't make
sense. However, are we sure that the error message is *exactly* the
same, word for word, or is it possible that it's just "the same in what
it says" but with different words? I assume there are screendumps to
verify this ;-)

Another point that at least I don't know - what kind of connection pool
is it? Is it an external one (like pgpool) to which the java app
connects (using FE/BE protocol, emulating a "proper postmaster" but
pooling access to the database), or is it running inside the app server
(like for example .net connection pooling does, which simply means that
when you run the Open() method on the connection object it will pick
something off an *internal* pool)?

//Magnus