Re: The name of the game

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The name of the game
Date: 2006-07-13 18:43:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-novice

> >> Cons for PostgreSQL:
> >> (Yes I am aware of the Trademark, but it is invalid at this point)
> >>
> >> 1. Long domain name
> >
> > It is only 2 more letters... this is a red herring
>
> Oh.. very valid from a communication point of view.
>
> Customer (on phone): What what site should I visit?
> ME: WWW.postgresql.org
> Customer: What?
> Me: www.postgres --- ql.org
> Customer: Why the ql?
>
> And yes this does happen. The name by nature of how it is
> spelled is difficult to say without confusing someone. Thus
> the domain name being longer is relevant.

I don't see the relevance of the domainname at all. I type in
"postgres.org" and it redirects to "postgresql.org". If the names were
reversed, I would assume "postgresql.org" would be redirecting to
"postgres.org". (Same could - and should - of course go for .anything,
assuming we have access to the domain)

So tell your customer whatever seems easiest (yes, that's most likely
postgres - that would be even easier than pgsql.org, if we had it, since
it's easily pronouncable) and let's have a computer deal with sorting
that part out.

//Magnus