Re: BUG #2493: bug with initdb under an administrator

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Alexander Pravdin" <speller(at)yandex(dot)ru>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #2493: bug with initdb under an administrator
Date: 2006-06-24 11:45:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Bug reference: 2493
> Logged by: Alexander Pravdin
> Email address: speller(at)yandex(dot)ru
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
> Operating system: Windows XP
> Details:
>
> If I run the initdb under an administrator, the program
> crashes without any error reporting. The last string in the output is
>
> "creating base template1 in E:/usr/local/postgres/data/base/1 ..."
> (translated from russian)
>
> The "data" directory remains empty.
>
> Under the limited user account initialization completed successfully.
>

> I think the program should report if it require to run under
> a limited user account.

Hm. It does for me. Do you get something in the eventlog? Perhaps it's
incorrectly thinking it's running as a service, and logging there
instead?

Do you run this from the commandline, or from inside another program?

Finally, you can try the initdb version at
http://www.hagander.net/pgsql/initdb_pgctl_restricted_user_8.1.4.zip.
It's the 8.1.4 initdb with the run-as-admin fixes from HEAD backpatched.

//Magnus