Re: pgsql continuing network issues

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Steve Atkins" <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, "pgsql general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql continuing network issues
Date: 2006-03-31 23:21:29
Lists: pgsql-general

> > IF I change the listen_addresses directive to localhost, I
> can connect
> > fine and everything works EXCEPT I get the message "NOTICE: Unknown
> > win32 socket error code: 10107" repeatedly anytime I do something.
> > This would be acceptable, except that I need to be able to
> access this
> > database at client sites.
>
> 10107 is WSASYSCALLFAILURE. A pretty generic message, but
> I've seen it when some broken software has inserted itself
> into the IP stack.

For those who prefer enlgish, the text for that message is "A system
call that should never fail has failed.". I'd say that indicates
something is not healthy about your machine :)

Usually when these things happen, I'd recommend looking at firewall,
antivirus or antispyware products. And try to actually remove them, not
just disable it. Failing that, look at virus or spyware - it is windows
after all :-)

> I CAN telnet to 192.168.0.100 5432.

That, however, makes it look like it might be something different.
*Might* - it cna still be a fw or such.

It could be an issue with DNS resolving, considering you definitly have
problems looking up "localhost" (which really should always work). Can
you ping to arbitrary dns names? Or specifically to the DNS name you're
trying to connect to?

//Magnus