Re: human validation on post comments

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Travis Hein" <travis(dot)hein(at)travnet(dot)org>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: human validation on post comments
Date: 2006-03-19 13:50:12
Lists: pgsql-www

> my name is Travis, I am new to pgsql-www.
>
> I have been integrating a component that will ask the user to
> enter the word in a dynamic image before their comments can
> be submitted.
>
> I had resumed this work in progress from Gevik.

Great!

> - is the input validator being invoked on all the spots where
> it should be?
> currently the comments feedback for the documentation, i know about.
> validation is invoked from /system/page/form.php

I believe all form submissions go through there ATM. But it would
probably be good if there was something "API-like" so you could call it
from elsewhere if required, unless that's too much work?

Will the validation image automatically be added to all forms, or is it
something we need to set for each form that needs it? And if it's
automatic, is there a way to turn it off for a form through form.php?

> - currently the invalid human feedback page is a simple
> validation failed message, outside of portal look and feel.

That would be nice if it could be fixed to be a page inside the portal.
IIRC I have code around to fix that for the generic forms, that will go
in any day now :-) Might help you build off.

> - the validation script that manipulates dynamic image and
> session table are in a top level folder /validation

Any reason why this is not in /system/? I like the way things are now
where all the code goes in one subdir. If it's many files, it could go
in /system/validation?

> - modify system/page/form.php
> to send to our /validate handler, instead of
> /system/handleform.php

I assume the validate handler then passes control back into handleform,
or does form-handling move completely into the validator?

Rest looks very good!

> Then if things are looking ok, what and how is the process
> for integrating the enhancements back to the site.

Send a patch through to the list for even more comments, I guess.

//Magnus