Re: windows / initdb oddness

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: windows / initdb oddness
Date: 2006-02-21 19:42:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >Are you running this with an admin account or a non-admin
> account? If
> >admin, what are the permissions on the initdb.exe file and libpq.dll?
> >

> Should be unprivileged - it's the account I use to run
> buildfarm. (and which has therefore in each case just
> successfully run "make check" with the identical binaries).

Hm. Ok. Is that part running under msys or "plain windows"? I haven't
done much testing under msys. (Though it's clearly not always broken)

> >Anything weird in how you run it - do you specify a path to
> initdb, or
> >run it from current directory for example?
> >

> relative path: bin/initdb foo
>
> (bin has libpq.dll as well as initdb.exe).

But if this is from buildfarm, it should be the same on snake, right?

> >And finally, can you check with process explorer if it's the
> first or
> >second initdb that dies? (With this patch, initdb will
> re-exec itself
> >with lower privs)
> >

> I will add some trace writes when I get a chance. I was
> rather hoping something would jump out at you, but obviously
> it hasn't, so I'll have to dig into it the slow way. *sigh*

Ok. Sorry, can't help much. It's definitly quite possible it's somewhere
around the new priv code. My first guess would be something with the
build-new-commandline pieces, but I don't see what it should be...

//Magnus