Re: Patch: Query favourites

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Query favourites
Date: 2006-01-29 18:41:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
> >This patch adds a favourites menu to the query tool, where one can
> >store often-used queries.
> >
> >It brings along build dependencies on wxxml2
> >(http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/wxxml2/) and
> libxml2 (which
> >comes from the first).
> >
> The tradeoff between additional benefit (you can already
> store often-used queries in standard files) and increased wx
> dependencies (actually not wx but wxcode, which can make it a
> nightmare dealing with
> distributions) makes this patch really expensive. IMNSHO, too
> expensive.

Seems I cause a lot of nightmares these days.

Anyway, it could be rewritten to either not use XML at all, or to not
use wxxml (say by linking directly to libxml, which is likely to be on
the system already considering how many packages use it). It just makes
it easier when you don't have to maintain the code youself.

Using xml makes it a whole lot easier (no need to deal with escaping,
structuring, etc yourself), especially if you can foresee other places
to use it. But it's by no means a requirement.

As for the fact that you can already store them in standard files - sure
you can. It's a matter of convenience. If we don't care about
convenience, we can just use psql and get rid of most of pgadmin. (which
I don't think is a good idea, btw. Convenience is, imho, what pgadmin is
supposed to be all about)

//Magnus

pgadmin-hackers by date