Re: windows xp install problem ("failed to set permissions on the installed files...")

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: windows xp install problem ("failed to set permissions on the installed files...")
Date: 2006-01-01 12:11:48
Lists: pgsql-general

> I have installed PG on Windows XP successfully several times,
> but now I have one machine on which the install fails with an
> error message: "Failed to set permissions on the installed
> files. Please see the logfile at ..." . The log file in
> question does not look very useful. It has lines of the type:
> processed dir: F:\PostgreSQL\8.1\xyz
> processed file: F:\PostgreSQL\8.1\xyz\xyz.xyz with the last
> line saying "The data is invalid."

That is actually quite helpful. That means that the "cacls" command
(which is a system tool in windows, and not ours) runs as expected, but
then fails. With an error msg i've never seen from it, no less.
I'd look at possible disk corruption for that one. Have you run scandisk
on this disk lately?

> Any ideas on what to look for. Any special permissions I need
> to set outside of the install or before the install?

See the FAQ. But this does not look like a permissions error, with the
"The data is invalid" part.

//Magnus