Re: IE fixes CSS broken on website?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Emily Boyd" <emily(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IE fixes CSS broken on website?
Date: 2005-12-10 18:02:13
Lists: pgsql-www

> > I've noticed second-level menus in the left pane are
> completely broken
> > in IE (at least in IE6) if their name is long - the second
> line gets
> > written on top of the first one, making it completely unreadable.
>
> Do you have a screenshot/example of where this is happening?
> I can't find where this occurs (using IE6 on Win XP).

It doesn't occur anywhere on the site as it is now. It occurred on new
stuff not yet committed. For an example, see
http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/developer/sourcecode.
The item under "Coding" should read "Source Code Much Longer Name Now",
and does so in firefox. But not IE...
(Let me know if you still can't see it and I'll send you a screenshot)

> > Ive noticed two rows in iefixes.css that are related to
> this, because
> > if I take them out completely, it looks fine again in IE6.
> However,
> > I'm a bit relucant to do this without actually understanding it.
> > What are these lines supposed to fix in the first place? Is ripping
> > them out the righ tthing to do, or will that break other things?
>
> I don't remember why those lines are there, but I'm sure
> there's a good reason :)

yeah, that's what I was thinking :-)

> I'll see if I can figure out what they're doing and if
> they're safe to change/remove to fix the overlapping text
> issue you've described.

Great, thanks!

//Magnus