Re: Improved copying from Edit Data Grid - rough patch

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Edward Di Geronimo Jr(dot)" <edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improved copying from Edit Data Grid - rough patch
Date: 2006-02-03 08:51:41
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Note: I'm far from an authority in this group :-) I keep getting my own
patches bumpbed. But since it comes in contact with some of the changes
I've made lately, I'll fire off a couple of comments anyway.

(Nope, haven't looked at the actual code)

> I want to get involved in helping polish the pgAdmin
> interface. As a first step, I've modified the copy for the
> Edit Data grid to have much more flexiblity in copying data
> from the grid. The present code only allows copying entire
> rows. With my changes, you can now copy rows, columns, or the
> highlighted range.

It think the quoting used when copy here should be the one from Copy
Quoting and not Export Quoting. I actually had it on my list to do that.
While you're working in taht code anyway, maybe do that while at it?

Does this also fix the complete weirdness that you can have *both* a row
*and* a cell in a different row selected at the same time? That keeps
throwing me off all the time.

And yes, this sounds like a great feature :-)

> The next thing I would like to after finishing this is modify
> the query windows to display the results in a grid instead of
> a list. The ability to copy arbitrary sections of the results
> would be a huge help in my daily work. I figured this could
> would most likely be reusable for that goal.

Sounds like a good idea. Assuming there are no other problems with the
grid (I don't really know enough about wx to comment on that part).

//Magnus