Re: Patch: Query favourites

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Query favourites
Date: 2006-01-31 08:13:45
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> >As for the libxml2/msxml - I think going with *just* libxml2
> is the way
> >to go. The APIs are so completely different that it would be two
> >completely different implementations. And AFAIK, there are
> no problems
> >with libxml on Win32 in general.
> >

> except for libxml2 not being there by default.

Neither is wx or libpq, but that doesn't cause a problem. Link with it
statically, and the user will never know.

> >So yeah, that can definitly be done without an unreasonable
> amount of
> >work. If that means that the feature will "live", I'm fine
> with looking
> >at that. But I'd like to know that first. (Implementation
> details aside
> >of course, there can still be more of those to fix - the feature in
> >principle, and the general idea of storing the data in a file in the
> >users homedir etc)
> >

> I don't like storing more stuff in files, and in homedir
> even less. I even don't like registry/.pgadmin3 (not
> completely replacable), and would like some network (db)
> based solution to copy server connect strings from.

I personally think that's a bad idea. Especially for the config stuff.
For favourites, I can see a point in being able to put it centrally - as
an option. Then again, storing it in the home directory will make it
roam, and that makes it central enough for me.

//Magnus