Re: Query tool: Autocompletion

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query tool: Autocompletion
Date: 2006-01-26 11:36:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> > Don't know enough about the classes to really comment. They
> can't be
> > built on-demand somehow?
>
> Yeah, but my point is that typing in the query tool might
> trigger a DB connect followed by a deep build of the tree
> which might be very expensive. That might outweigh the
> benefits of using the cache.

Right. But couldn't you have it not do a deep build, but a shallow one?
So when I hit <tab> (or whatever) where it wants a table name, you build
the list of tables *only*. Or use the cache when you have it. Then wheni
t wants attributes for "table a", you build the cache of that.

If you really need the cache. I'm not sure the cost is so big, I've
never had problems with psql and I use tab completion all the time
there... Though most of my dbs don't have a huge amount of tables, it
might be a problem then I guess.

BTW, I also have this notion of being able to run *just* the query
editor (not just start pgadmin and open the query editor, but never
actually build the tree and stuff when I know I'm not going to need it).
Not sure if others want that as well, or what effect it would have on
something like this, just wanted to point it out :)

//Magnus