Re: psql & readline & win32

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql & readline & win32
Date: 2006-01-02 09:08:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> >2) Should we ship a file of standard bindings. We're not
> going to get it complete, but we could get some of the most
> common ones in europe at least (in sweden, this would for
> example include "\(at)£${[]}~|"). Which would help people a lot.
> >

> Yes we should, at least for Windows - put it in share along
> with other samples, maybe.

That was my second question on that - where to put it, and how to find it.

> >3) How should the inputrc file be loaded. By default, you
> have to type SET INPUTRC="\some\where\inputrc" before you
> launch psql. But we could just as easily add:
> >#if defined(WIN32) && defined(USE_READLINE)
> >   rl_read_init_file(our_path_to_inputrc);
> >#endif
> >to psql, making that step a whole lot easier. Especially for
> people who launch psql from the startmenu, and can't specify
> program-specific env vars.
> >

> if user has $HOME/inputrc
>   load $HOME/inputrc
> elsif exists $SYSTEMCONFIG/inputrc
>   load $SYSTEMCONFIG/inputrc
> endif
>
> Since inputrc is meant to service many applications, we
> shouldn't try to bypass that.

Actually, I think readline handles that and we can't turn it off. Though I think I need to set INPUTRC=<something> to make it work on win32, it doesn't know abuot the All Users profile for example.

I was thinking of a completement to the inputrc. Which would be somethign like:
if exists $SYSTEMCONFIG/psql.inputrc
   load $SYSTEMCONFIG/psql.inputrc
endif
if exists $HOME/inputrc    <-- this part handled by readline, not us
   laod $HOME/inputrc      <-- this part handled by readline, not us
endif

//Magnus

Next:From: Andreas SeltenreichDate: 2006-01-02 09:33:31