Re: Integration Requirements

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Integration Requirements
Date: 2005-12-07 09:09:39
Lists: pgsql-www

> > Then again, "highly dynamic" does *not* necessarily mean
> you can't use
> > a set of static mirrors to do it. You just need to isolate parts of
> > the system, and put them in the right place. This is
> something that in
> > my experience most stock CMSes today to a bad job of,
> whereas custom
> > ones can do a better one.
>
> Actually, it does. You can't do full text search with a
> static mirror.

Yes you can. We do it today, I've done it elsewhere, there is no problem
at all. The search itself won't be static of course. But it can search
the static parts without any problem, and if the search breaks for some
reason, the static content is still available. And still searchable
through google or whatever your favvo engine might be.

> You can't do bookmarking with a static mirror.

Not sure what you refer to here, so I can't answer that.

> You can't do
> article feedback with a static mirror.

Uh, no? Then how do we do commenting on our documentation today?

> Need I go on?

Yes, please, because I still don't see anything that can't be solved
within the framework of our curernt static mirror system.

> I'm talking about a real KB here, not just techdocs. A
> techdocs replacement does fine as static content.

Then you have to declare what a "real KB" is. Compare to for example the
Microsoft kB, which is probably the biggest in the world (that's a guess
only, but I think it's a fair guess). It mirrors just brilliantly as
static content.
(though they could do with a way to browse it in a hierarchy, but they
don't. They do that with MSDN, which incidentally also mirrors just
fine)

//Magnus