Re: installing several PostgreSQL instances on Windows

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Zlatko Matic" <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: installing several PostgreSQL instances on Windows
Date: 2005-09-30 10:58:55
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hello.
>
> Is it possible to install several completely independent
> instances of PostgreSQL on the same Windows machine?
> I'm asking this mostly because I want to have complete
> control over my database, which is not possible if there is
> some other superuser. Therefore I need dedicated Postgres
> server with only one database. But it is possible that a
> client already have a Postgres installed with some other
> database. Is it possible to install a new independent
> PostgreSQL server on the same computer?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Yes, but the installer will only let you put one instance on the machine. But you can just copy the whole directory of files to a different directory, and run "pg_ctl register" with a different name there to get a separate service.
(That is, unless you use different versions. You can put both 8.0 and 8.1 on the same machine with the installer.)

(Note! This is much safer in 8.1 than in 8.0, because 8.0 has some shared files in SYSTEM32 that might cause issues if you run multiple different versions on the same machine)

//Magnus