Re: Problem installing Postgresql 8 on Win 2000

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Richard Luckhurst" <rickl(at)soundadvice(dot)aunz(dot)net>,"PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem installing Postgresql 8 on Win 2000
Date: 2005-08-03 07:28:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> Hello All
> I am trying to use the pginstaller to install on a Win2000
> machine. I do have NOD32 installed but as I notice in the FAQ
> there might be problems I have disabled it. I am running the
> install with all default options and my install fails when
> initdb tries to run. I get a PostgreSQL 8.0 popup box.

Please try to uninstall it. Disabling it often leaves some parts
running. And AV is a very common cause for this kind of errors.

> Failed to run initdb: 1!
> Please see the logfile in 'C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\tmp\initdb.log'
> That logfile gets down to
> creating template1 database in C:/Program
> files/PostgreSQL/8.0/data/base/1 ... Bad command or file name
> could not write to child process: Invalid argument
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/8.0/data"
> I tried when beta 1 first came out to install PostgreSQL on a
> Win2000 computer and got similar errors and could never get
> to the bottom of the problem. I now need to get PostgreSQL
> working to support a customers application so am prepared to
> put a lot more time into debugging if anyone out there can help.

If you install without initdbing, can you then run initdb manually? (try
the above with uninstalling AV first, though..)

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Richard LuckhurstDate: 2005-08-03 22:05:34
Subject: Re: Installing postgres on win XP