Re: Problem installing Postgresql 8 on Win 2000

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Richard Luckhurst" <rickl(at)soundadvice(dot)aunz(dot)net>,"PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem installing Postgresql 8 on Win 2000
Date: 2005-08-03 07:28:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> Hello All
>
> I am trying to use the pginstaller to install on a Win2000
> machine. I do have NOD32 installed but as I notice in the FAQ
> there might be problems I have disabled it. I am running the
> install with all default options and my install fails when
> initdb tries to run. I get a PostgreSQL 8.0 popup box.

Please try to uninstall it. Disabling it often leaves some parts
running. And AV is a very common cause for this kind of errors.

> Failed to run initdb: 1!
> Please see the logfile in 'C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\tmp\initdb.log'
>
> That logfile gets down to
>
> creating template1 database in C:/Program
> files/PostgreSQL/8.0/data/base/1 ... Bad command or file name
> could not write to child process: Invalid argument
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/8.0/data"
>
> I tried when beta 1 first came out to install PostgreSQL on a
> Win2000 computer and got similar errors and could never get
> to the bottom of the problem. I now need to get PostgreSQL
> working to support a customers application so am prepared to
> put a lot more time into debugging if anyone out there can help.

If you install without initdbing, can you then run initdb manually? (try
the above with uninstalling AV first, though..)

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Richard LuckhurstDate: 2005-08-03 22:05:34
Subject: Re: Installing postgres on win XP