Re: libpq request results

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Michael GUIARD" <m(dot)guiard(at)nestor-tech(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq request results
Date: 2005-07-26 13:03:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Hi !
>
> I hope I choose the correct mailing list and I hope my
> question has not been already asked.
> Correct me if I wrong.
> I do not understand something : what is the difference
> between this mailing list and the newsgroup : news.postrgesql.org ?

They are mirrored to each other, I beleive. So just different transports
of the same data.

> My question concerning postgre sql libpq :

Postgres or PostgreSQL, please, no such thing as postgre.

> Is it possible to ask Postgre engine for a request, then wait
> for the end of the request : postgre gives me the total
> result rows and then ask for downloading the rows separately ?

Not directly. But what you can do is use a server side cursor, and then
fetch one (or a couple) of rows at a time. It should give you
approximatly the same result. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-fetch.html.

//Magnus