Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch
Date: 2005-07-25 14:00:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

<snip good explanation. Thanks.>

> > Let me suggest another nice way for a superuser to do
> whatever he wants.
> > How about "CREATE UNTRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE"? If you have say
> > pl/perl or pl/tcl on the system, you just create the
> untrusted version
> > and away you go - because they use the same .so.
>
> Yeah, I was thinking earlier about proposing that the trusted
> and untrusted versions need to be distinct .so's, so that the
> admin can physically remove the untrusted ones to prevent
> this scenario.
> But, again, the existence of security hole A is not
> justification for introducing security hole B.
>
> > Instead of trying to pick on one feature, how about trying
> something
> > constructive instead?
>
> That'd be fine with me --- but we have to introduce that
> *before* we add obvious new security risks, not after.

So what do you think of the proposed GUC?

Or what about a parameter to restrict both COPY and the utility
functions to certain subdirs only? (BTW, I was under the impression that
the admin functions were restricted to the pgdata directory already, but
I could be wrong - I don't have the latest version of the patch around)

//Magnus