Re: Volunteer wanted for PostgreSQL Techdocs

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Gevik babakhani" <gevik(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Rod Taylor" <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Volunteer wanted for PostgreSQL Techdocs
Date: 2005-06-21 08:23:21
Lists: pgsql-www

> Hi,
> Regarding static content:
> Assuming the content is being exported from bircolage to disk
> (static!) I do not see any other way than to scan the
> directory in order to build the xml tree.
>
> It is properly me, but I am not to found if exporting the
> files to disk.
> Don't you guys this it would be better to read the content
> directly from bircolage database?

I think you misunderstand me.

The idea is that the mirror.php script builds a static site from a
dynamic one. For example, look at the news on the site today. It's all
in a database, and if you read it off wwwmaster.postgresql.org, you read
it live from the database. Then mirror.php connects here and generates
static pages, that get mirrored across the six (I think that's how many
today) global servers that serve up www.postgresql.org.

This means that the data can definitly be in the database, it just has
to be in a format so the *end user* can read it in static format. This
is so we can serve up with much better performance and it's a lot easier
to add/remove global replica servers since we don't need to set up
postgresql replication between them. So it shuold be absolutely possible
to generate the XML from the bricolage database.

The reasons to have bricolage generate stuff that is later parsed yet
again by the website system are, I beleive:

1) It automatically follows updates to the main site templating system.

2) It makes the systems separate - if the bricolage system goes down for
some reason, or if we lose the ppl who can maintain it, the data served
up to the end users is still right there on the site, in the tree, and
can in emergencies be edited there.

//Magnus