Re: PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: "Vig, Sandor (G/FI-2)" <Sandor(dot)Vig(at)audi(dot)hu>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows
Date: 2005-02-23 14:50:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

> > You can *never* get above 80 without using write cache,
> regardless of
> > your OS, if you have a single disk.
>
> Why? Even with, say, a 15K RPM disk? Or the ability to
> fsync() multiple concurrently-committing transactions at once?

Uh. What I meant was a single *IDE* disk. Sorry. Been too deep into
helping ppl with IDE disks lately to remember that SCSI can be a lot
faster :-) And we're talking about restore of a dump, so it's a single
session.

(Strictly, that shuld be a 7200rpm IDE disk. I don't know if any others
are common, though)

//mha