Re: BUG #1466: #maintenace_work_mem = 16384

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joe Brown" <joebrown(at)rclooke(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1466: #maintenace_work_mem = 16384
Date: 2005-02-11 11:54:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> > I checked all logs I could think of (event and pg_logs) and
> found no
> > information. I suppose if I tried starting postmaster by
> hand I would
> > have spotted the issue.
>
> Hmm. I see at least part of the problem: the poweron default
> for log_destination is "stderr" which is not very helpful on
> Windows; the message is probably going to the bit bucket
> since any destination change you may have requested in
> postgresql.conf probably hasn't been applied yet. (Joe, if
> you put log_destination = eventlog in the conf file before
> the mistaken entry, does it report properly?)
>
> Seems like we need a different poweron default on Windows.

There is code in there that's supposed to handle it, it just seems not
to work :-( See:
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/utils/error
/elog.c?rev=1.155

function write_stderr(). Probably it's not picking up that's it's
running as a service, which it really should. I remember testing this
when it went in, but probably haven't tested it lately. But I see no
changes in that.

Hmm. Looking at it, the fprintf(stderr, "%s", buf.data) in
send_message_to_server_log should probably be a write_stderr, shouldn't
it? Or will that break the redirect_stderr stuff?

On another note, is it really good for guc to be calling ereport()
before it has loaded the config options for ereport, or are there
possibly other areas that may be wrong as well?

//Magnus