Re: BUG #1472: Win-Installation failed due to missing access-rights

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Joachim Schuette" <drjoschue(at)web(dot)de>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1472: Win-Installation failed due to missing access-rights
Date: 2005-02-10 13:18:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Bug reference: 1472
> Logged by: Joachim Schuette
> Email address: drjoschue(at)web(dot)de
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
> Operating system: Win2k
> access-rights
> Details:
>
> I ran the installation under a non-admin account and always
> it terminated with "Failed to set permissions on the
> installed files...". The reason is, the installation process
> sets the deny-column (Properties in Win-Explorer) for
> permission in the subfolder \8.0, even when I set the
> access-rights for that folder to non-changing-right before
> starting the installation. The effect is similar to closing a
> door while wanting to go through.
> Whether this behaviour is due to a message following the
> window for setting up the database cluster, i.e., "failed to
> open local computer policy...", I can not resolve.
> Do you have any hints for a work around or is this a real
> bug? If necessary, I can send you a protocol showing all the
> windows during installation.

If it fails to open the local computer policy, that is something
completely different. The policy is maintained by the LSA, not in the
filesystem. What exactly is the error message you get (complete text)? I
think if you solve this problem, the other one is likely to go away as
well.

The deny-write permissions are normal. They are set on all directories
except the data directory, as a security precaution. There is no need
whatsoever for postgresql to be able to write to its own .EXE and .DLL
files.

//Magnus