Re: BUG #1445: Installation failed during "Activating Procedural Languages" - "Failed to connect to the database"

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "John Anson" <postgres(at)jomich(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1445: Installation failed during "Activating Procedural Languages" - "Failed to connect to the database"
Date: 2005-01-29 21:01:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs
>The following bug has been logged online:
>
>Bug reference:      1445
>Logged by:          John Anson
>Email address:      postgres(at)jomich(dot)com
>PostgreSQL version: 8.0.0.5017
>Operating system:   Windows XP SP2
>Languages" - "Failed to connect to the database"
>Details:

<snip>

>Before the installation I:
>- shut down ZoneAlarm Security Suite (firewall and virus protection)
>- disabled Windows Firewall
>- exited all applications and SystemTray icons.
>- terminated non-Microsoft processes
>
>My issues now are:
>1. Should the Postgres windows .msi installation require the
>LSPfix tool?
>(It did in my case).

No, it shouldn't. Which LSP was it that was causing the problem? And can
you identify which software it came with.

>2. It would have saved me a lot of grief if the tool was
>mentioned in the
>instalation FAQ (as some posts referred to, but the FAQ must have been
>changed). Should the tool be mentioned in the FAQ?

Yes. It was there during RC, but it was beleived that we had a
workaround in place that would not cause the problem to happen again. It
looks like it's going to have to back.

//Magnus

pgsql-bugs by date