Re: long sql "in" clause crashes server process (8.0 Release)

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: long sql "in" clause crashes server process (8.0 Release)
Date: 2005-01-24 21:16:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>> Can we increase that setting during the Windows build? I'd like to
>see
>> it set to 4Mb if possible.
>
>Yes. Also, if the poster happens to have visual studio
>installed, there
>is a utility called editbin that allows manually changing a stack (be
>sure to change postgres.exe and postmaster.exe at the least).
>
>The linker switch to do this is:
>
>The Stack Allocations (/STACK:reserve[,commit]) option sets the size of
>the stack in bytes.

On MingW, you add:
-Wl,--stack=4194304

to get 4Mb stack. At least the value increases in the header.

And I can confirm that doing this fixes the problem and turns it into
the error message about stack size. (But won't things crash again if I
increase that one? Or will it increase the stack manually then?)

Patch attached.

>> BTW, what's the difference between "stack reserve" and
>"stack commit"?
>
>Just guessing, but this may have something to do with controlling how
>much of the stack can be swapped out to virtual memory. I'd suggest
>leaving it alone.

IIRC:
Stack Reserve = Amount of virtual memory used for stack
Stack Commit = Initial/minimal amount of physical memory used for stack

//Magnus

Attachment Content-Type Size
stack.patch application/octet-stream 1.1 KB