Re: Invalid username specified

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Paul Kirschner" <kirschpe(at)hotmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Invalid username specified
Date: 2005-01-21 18:59:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>I'm using WIn2k/sp3 on machine at work connected to windows domain.
>
>At the "Service Configuration" screen it tries to make a
>userid "postgres".
>I get...
>
>"Want the account created for you?" YES
>"Random password is..." OK
>"Succesffuly grantred right" OK
>
>THEN
>
>MOST of the time I get "Account Error" "Invalid username
>specified: Logon
>failure: unknown user name or bad password."
>
>SOMETIMES it correctly and proceeds to "initialize database cluster"
>
>When I get Invalid username I tried deleting the "postgres"
>user, rebooting,
>waiting for the twenty minute timeout windows authentication
>always seems to
>take. But nothing definatively works. I'll try a bunch of
>times and it will
>work sooner or later.
>
>I have found that by disconnecting the laptop from the network
>- it will
>install every time.
>
>This has happened through the RC series as far as I can
>remember. I've found
>no other references in the mailing lists.
>
>What is going on? Am I the only one?

Are you using a domain account or a local account? It's recommended that
you use a local account even on a domain attached computer.

But as this is not alwas possible or wanted. If you are using a domain
account, wait for Active Directory to replicate *after* the account has
been created but *before* you proceed to the final step of the
installation. If you have the permissions required, you can use "AD
Sites & Services" to force a replication.

//Magnus