Re: More Code Page wierdness

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More Code Page wierdness
Date: 2005-01-11 16:01:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> > Not sure what would be involved in requiring the file to be UTF8.
> > Notepad can certainly handle UTF8, but I wonder how much
> would need to
> > bec hanged in pg...
>
> I think it would Just Work, since UTF8 is an ASCII superset,

Ok.

> whereas apparently some of Windows' code pages are not :-(
> (which is proof of brain death in Redmond if I ever saw it).

I've never seen one that changes any chars <= 127. But it's possible the
editor in this case wrote down a file in the wrong charset.
Looking at http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/wincp.mspx, "*"
is 002A in *every single one*, inlcuding japanese.

Looking at http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/oem/437.htm, it
shows that it's 002A in the very encoding Simon said was used in this
case. So it is in
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/oem/850.htm, which is the
OEM codepage used in Swedish windows.

I'm having trouble seeing why '*' would have a different value in
different codepages. I'm wondering if we're going down the wrong road
completely here?

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date