Re: More Code Page wierdness

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More Code Page wierdness
Date: 2005-01-11 16:01:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> > Not sure what would be involved in requiring the file to be UTF8.
> > Notepad can certainly handle UTF8, but I wonder how much
> would need to
> > bec hanged in pg...
> I think it would Just Work, since UTF8 is an ASCII superset,

> whereas apparently some of Windows' code pages are not :-(
> (which is proof of brain death in Redmond if I ever saw it).

I've never seen one that changes any chars <= 127. But it's possible the
editor in this case wrote down a file in the wrong charset.
Looking at, "*"
is 002A in *every single one*, inlcuding japanese.

Looking at, it
shows that it's 002A in the very encoding Simon said was used in this
case. So it is in, which is the
OEM codepage used in Swedish windows.

I'm having trouble seeing why '*' would have a different value in
different codepages. I'm wondering if we're going down the wrong road
completely here?

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date