Re: PostgreSQL 8 win32 native confilct with Cygwin?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Zumbrunn Stefan" <szumbrunn(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8 win32 native confilct with Cygwin?
Date: 2005-01-07 15:43:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Hi
>
> I tried to install the native Windows version of Postgresql8-rc3.
> I got a warning that cygwin is installed an I should remove
> /cygwin/bin from my path since cygwin contains buggy dll's.
>
> Is this really true - would buggy cygwin dll's conflict with
> the native version of PostgreSQL_8?

Yes. The tcl and/or python DLL files from cygwin *hang* or *crash*
whenever loaded. Even if we don't call any functions in them.

> If so, is there a secure way of running both (cygwin &
> PostgresSQL win32 native) at the same time?

Yes. Remove cygwin from the path. It's only necessary to remove it from
the service accounts path, so you can remoev it from the system path and
then add it back to your own personal path *after* you have installed.

> And some more feedback:
> Finally I did the installation on a different machine and
> struggled with following problems.
> According to the manual, I should be able to run the
> "createdb" command.
> However, the postgresql/bin directory is not added to the
> path automatically and therefore the command did not work.
> Is this the intention?

This is on the TODO, but will not be fixed in time for 8.0.

> Is it save to have postgresql/bin and cygwin/bin in the path
> - in this order?

No, the conflict is with python and tcl. You should be safe if you
install activestate tcl, and the python win32 packages, and put their
paths before cygwin. The installer won't let you do this, but you can
put it this way after you've completed the installatino with cygwin
removed from the path.

//Magnus