Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..
Date: 2005-01-05 23:35:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> > > The problem with Appdata is that it's a hidden folder.  Are we
> > > storing files here that we expect the user to be able to get to
> > > easitly and edit often?  It may still be the best option, but I
> > > thought I would rasise that point.  The other option is
> to put most
> > > of this data into the registrty.
> > >
> > > BTW I have a few folders like %USERPROVILE%\.Application from
> > > windows ports of Unix apps like the GIMP.
> >
> > It's not hidden on my XP-Pro box.
>
> OK, I can't believe I know the answer to this, but if you
> display your %USERPROFILE directory using the standard XP
> directory viewer, and under Tools/Folder_Options, choose
> "View" then look at the "Hidden Files and Folders" option.  I
> bet you will see "Show hidden files and folders"
> enabled, but by default that radio button is disabled.
>
> So, buy default "Application Data" is invisible in that
> application, though you have enabled it, probably because you
> know what you are doing and need to get to certain
> configuration files.

The comment in the API for the profile directory says:
Version 5.0. The user's profile folder. A typical path is C:\Documents
and Settings\username. Applications should not create files or folders
at this level; they should put their data under the locations referred
to by CSIDL_APPDATA or CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA.

I think we should stay away from that one if possible.

For the MSI install we could always add icons to edit the config file if
people have a hard time finding it...

The files are not hidden any more than they are hidden on unix by being
named ".postgresql". I don't see this as a big problem.

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Subject: RC3 MSI installer...