Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..
Date: 2005-01-05 21:41:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> > If we want to go all the way, the file should be in Application
> > Data\postgresql. The other option is to keep current as
> > %USERPROFILE%\.pgpass. But 8.0 is probably the best time ever to
> > change it into the subdir (to group the files together).
>
> I was wondering about that. The current behavior on Unix is
>
> ~/.pgpass
> ~/.psqlrc
> ~/.psql_history
> ~/.postgresql/postgresql.crt
> ~/.postgresql/postgresql.key
> ~/.postgresql/root.crt
>
> which is less than consistent but I'm disinclined to change it.
> If we put all these files into a single directory on Windows,
> we are going to have a documentation problem because of lack
> of consistency between platforms. Should we do it anyway?

If we want to "play nice" in the windows world, we should definitly
*not* put things directly in %USERPROFILE%. And if we're ever going to
change it, now is the time.
I would like to see all these files moved into <appdatadir>\PostgreSQL\
or %USERPROFILE%\PostgreSQL\ (Appdata is obviously the nicest).
We might want to consider removing the leading-dot on those files too -
some Widnows tools go nuts on that. (most don't, but some do). And it
doesn't accomplish anything (like it does on Unix) other than confusing
the user. If it's not too much work.

//Magnus