Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..
Date: 2005-01-05 15:38:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> > Excellent. I would suggest that we allow an environment variable
> > PGHOME to override this on all platforms, falling back to
> the above on
> > Windows and HOME elsewhere.
>
> Given that this code is mainly used to find security-critical
> files (.pgpass and SSL certificates), I'm not sure that an
> override is a good idea. I'm not dead set against it though
> --- any other opinions out there?
>
> Also, how do we document this behavior on Windows? The libpq
> docs currently talk about, eg,
>
> the connection in <filename>$HOME/.pgpass</> (or
> <filename>%USERPROFILE%\.pgpass</> on Microsoft Windows).
>
> but I'm not sure that's accurate or useful. Is there a
> phrase comparable to "home directory" that will be understood
> by Windows users? I'm thinking of writing "~/.pgpass" for
> the Unix case to avoid giving the impression that we depend
> on getenv("HOME"), because we won't anymore.

It's the "Application Data" directory. Which in all normal *english*
installs is %USERPROFILE%\Appliaction Data. It may be localised in
localised windows versions, not sure about that.

If we want to go all the way, the file should be in Application
Data\postgresql. The other option is to keep current as
%USERPROFILE%\.pgpass. But 8.0 is probably the best time ever to change
it into the subdir (to group the files together).

//Magnus