Re: BUG #1372: Service won't start with tcpip_socket = true

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Graham Robson" <graham(dot)robson(at)coherencedesign(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1372: Service won't start with tcpip_socket = true
Date: 2005-01-05 08:59:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Bug reference: 1372
> Logged by: Graham Robson
> Email address: graham(dot)robson(at)coherencedesign(dot)co(dot)uk
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0
> Operating system: Windows XP SP2
> Details:
>
> Trying to setup TCP/IP access over my network. The supplied
> postgresql.conf has no commented reference to the setting
> tcpip_socket = true.
>
> Adding this in stops the service from starting i.e. this
> reference directly stops the service from starting.
>
> An appropriate entry defining the IP_ADDRESS in the pg_hba.conf

Please check your postgresql logs. If they contain an error about shared
memory witgh "Invalid argument", you have hit a known bug in <= RC3
versions. This is (supposed to be) fixed in RC3.

If you're installing from the MSI, there is no MSI installer for RC3 yet
(sorry about that), but we expect to put one out in the next couple of
days. If you're gonig from source, try to just upgrade your version.
Finally, if you're going from the MSI, there is an *ugly* workaronud
downloadable from http://www.hagander.net/pgsql/postgres_shmem.zip.
Replace your postgres.exe from this file, and then copy postgres.exe
over postmaster.exe (they should be identical). I wouldn't recommend
this solution for long, but if you're still in a testing environment it
might be worth a try while waiting for RC3.

//Magnus