Re: Fwd: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <nico(at)def2shoot(dot)com>, "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!
Date: 2004-12-28 18:26:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> What if we malloc 100k just before we create the postmaster
>segment and
>> then free it and see if that fixes the postgres.exe problem?
>
>That was suggested already. As a permanent fix it's certainly
>unspeakably ugly, but it would be useful to try it just to prove
>(or disprove) that we understand the problem.
>
>It would probably be a good idea to make the padding at least 256K,
>since the numbers that have been tossed around seem to indicate that
>Windows may be aligning things on 128K boundaries.
>
>My inclination for a permanent fix would be to try to do the shmat()
>much earlier, but I don't think we should go to the effort of doing
>that code rearrangement until we've proven that this is indeed the
>issue.

Still unable to reproduce this, even with the more detailed steps in
Nicolas mail. However, I've created a postgres.exe based on
cvs-as-of-yesterday plus the attached patch for testing.

The file is available on
http://www.hagander.net/pgsql/postgres_shmem.zip

Nicolas and Merlin - can you test with this .exe, please? You need to
replace *both* postmaster.exe *and* postgres.exe with the new one.

//Magnus

Attachment Content-Type Size
shmem.patch application/octet-stream 744 bytes