Re: locales and encodings on Windows

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Thomas Kellerer" <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: locales and encodings on Windows
Date: 2004-12-22 17:40:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> handling. The other
> library that does

> but in the
> semi-professional "touch".

> > > [ shrug... ]  It can't be too important to Windows users, since
> > > their platform doesn't support it.
> >
> > And what solution options do we have?  Is bundling our own Unicode
> > library something we even want to consider?  I would think not.
>
> If the Win32 Unicode implemetation is buggy, can we work
> around the bugs in our code?

The implementation is not buggy.
The implementation of strcoll() etc *does not exist* for UTF-8.
There is a perfectly working Unicode system on Windows - it has been
there since Windows NT 3.1. *Every* API in Windows is unicode
internally. With Unicode in this case, MS means UTF-16.
How do other programs do? They convert their strings to UTF-16 and use
the unicode functions in the OS. UTF8 support only exists in the two
functinos used to convert to/from UTF-16.

That's at least how I understand it. I'm not a locale/encoding expert
though, so I could be wrong :)

Perhaps an emulation layer could be written for port/win32. I can't
really say, because I don't know these things well enough (on any
platform).

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date